Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Journal 6

Summary:

 This website information was very interesting to read. The whole article, Ten reasons to get Rid of Homework , literary stated ten different reasons why children should not have homework. John T. Spencer states reasons and then explains why tat is a good reason. I think it is a great way to persuade people, especially parents. Spencer creates this list and it seems he is looking for giving more free time to students. I have my personal opinion on that topic. I believe that homework is good for children and some of the reasons I believe are debatable just as Spencer’s reasons for not having homework are too. I don’t agree with the fact that homework should completely disappear, but maybe the quantity should not be a large amount. As a future educator, this issue concerns me because I think it would be more helpful for my students to review and practice at home in order to increase their understanding and learning of the topics learned.

 5 reasons we need homework:
 1. Students need to review and practice material learned in class on their own time to asses for understanding.

 2. Promotes responsibility among students, they learn that they have stuff to do and it has a deadline and helps them respect that

 3. Prepares them for college, students will learn that they need to finish homework to earn a grade as they work hard in class as well

 4. Children do not need that much “free time” it has them be on the streets more with a lot of different risks

 5. Keeps children busy and out of trouble



Spencer, J. (2011, September 19). Ten reasons to get rid of homework
(and five alternatives). Retrieved from http://www.educationrethink.com/2011/09/ten-reasons-to-get-rid-of-homework-and.html

No comments:

Post a Comment